How to draw Comic Cover in Photoshop
In this tutorial I'd like to show you how you can draw and color a cartoon cover in Adobe Photoshop.
1. Create a new document in the File →New. In the new dialog box choose the format A4, set the Resolution on 300 pixels/inch and the Color Mode on CMYK.
2. Create a new layer above the BACKGROUND and name it e.g. LINE OF ACTION. You can find the button "Create a new layer" in the bottom part of the palette Layers. If you don't see this palette simply press F7 on your keyboard or go to Window > Layers and it will appear.
3. Grab Brush Tool (B) and in the Brush dialog box choose the Calligraphic Brushes. Click with the Brush Tool (B) on the layer with the right mouse click and and set the Master Diameter on 30 pixels.
4. Choose the red color and start to draw the vertical line of action, which should go through the center of the body and the horizontal line, which should define position of the arms.
5. Create a new layer above the LINE OF ACTION and name it SKETCH. Pick the blue color and construct the body from the rounded masses and the circular form.
6. Add the muscles, fingers, hair and the construction lines for the eyes, the nose and the mouth.(Note! At this moment the character is committed to moving toward us. The object, which nearer to the reader is often exaggerated in size. We call this foreshortening.
7. Create a new layer above the SKETCH and name it INK. Pick the black color and start to ink your drawing. If your hand shaking, you can press and hold down SHIFT key and with your Digital Inking Pen you can mark the start and the end point of your line. On this way you can get fine and fluent line. You can apply this method for the whole drawing. The other option is to use PEN TOOL (P).
8. Grab Pen Tool (P) and click on two ends of your line. Each time you click you create an anchor point. After creating the second anchor point you can drag your mouse and change the form of your line. When you are satisfied with the line go to Windows →Paths and then in Paths dialog box click on the symbol “Stroke path with brush” and your line will be created. If you are not satisfied with the diameter of the line, just go to Brush Tool and increase the Diameter of the Brush and click again on the “Stroke path with brush” and the thickness of your line will be increased. Delete the layer Work Path and continue with inking.
9. We can add and delete anchor points on the path we have created. Right click on the pen tool on the toolbar to reveal further tools. Use the Add and Delete Anchor Point Tool to do just that! You can use the Delete Anchor Point Tool to remove the forth anchor point.
10. Create a new layer above the INK and name it BG. We are going to draw our hero punches through a piece of paper. First of all we are going to find the appropriate construction lines and the form for the paper.
11. For the construction lines I’m going to use the form of a scroll parchment, as shown in the picture below. Note that base for this object is rounded or circular form. Ink the paper same way as shown in the step 6.
12. Create a new layer below the INK and name it COLOR. Go back to the INK layer. First I’m going to select the area I want to color. Grab Magic Wand Tool (W) and select his chest and his thighs and go to Select→Modify→Expand and in the dialog box set the Master Diameter on 3 pixels. Say OK. Go back to the Color layer and pick the yellow color. Hold Alt key down and press the key Backspace. Your selected area will be colorized. Select the other parts of his body and color it the same way.
13. It is very important, that each element of your drawing (line of action, sketch, ink…) has his own layer. On this way you will be able to manipulate your drawing very easy if needed. That’s it!
If you have any further questions about this tutorial, please don’t hesitate
to contact me. You can also write me if you need some specific tutorial about the subject you need at this very moment.
All the best,